May 19, 2022
Akebono Commences Sales of a New Structure "AWP (Akebono W-Piston) Brake Caliper"
Tokyo, Japan - (May 19, 2022) - Akebono Brake Industry Co., Ltd. announced today that from May 20 it will commence sales in Japan of the world's first "new structure brake caliper" developed by Akebono as the AWP Brake Caliper. The product will initially be sold at Toyota's official dealership, GR Garage Urawa Misono, as a front brake caliper for the "Alphard" and "Vellfire" models, the luxury minivans, with plans to gradually expand the number of stores selling the product.
Based on technical know-how accumulated through the development of AD-type disc brakes (floating type disc brakes), which were developed using our proprietary technology in 1978, and disc brakes for high-performance cars (opposed piston type disc brakes), Akebono has developed a new type of brake caliper, which meets the needs of vehicle electrification and environmental sustainability by drastic revision of the structure of existing AD-type disc brakes. The design was originally unveiled as the world's first "New Structure Brake Caliper" on June 13, 2018. Subsequent market research and test runs led to the commercialization of this product.
The brake caliper is made of aluminum, achieving a weight reduction of 20% compared to the standard OEM caliper, contributing to improved fuel efficiency, and is a revolutionary product that is easy to install in vehicles without replacement of any other parts and visually very appealing.
- Excellent design
- Can be installed with standard OEM wheels and disc rotors
- Brake response equivalent to that of opposed type disc brakes
- 20% weight reduction and the same durability compared to the standard OEM caliper
- Exclusively developed brake pads reduce brake dust
- Available in a total of five caliper colors (blue, red, white, silver, and orange)
AWP Brake Caliper (Blue)
AWP Brake Caliper (Red)
AWP Brake Caliper (White)
AWP Brake Caliper (Silver)
AWP Brake Caliper (Orange)
- Trade name: AWP Brake Caliper
- Dimensions: Width 307 x Height 123 x Depth 168 (mm)
- Product weight: 5.7kg
- Contents: Front calipers (left and right), warranty card, safety standards conformity document, instruction manual
- Material: Aluminum alloy
- Warranty: 3 years or 60,000km from purchase date
- Release date: May 20, 2022
- Model Number: AWPK-1101
- Suggested retail price: 300,000 yen (excluding tax and installation)
For inquiries regarding products and dealers, please contact: email@example.com
# # #
About Akebono Brake Industry Co., Ltd.
Akebono Brake Industry Co., Ltd. (TSE:7238), founded in 1929, is a world leader in advanced brake and friction material development and production. The Akebono Group operates R&D centers and manufacturing facilities worldwide, in Japan, the United States, Europe and Asia.
For more information, visit www.akebono-brake.com/english/index.html.